Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day Camp

So this week marked the beginning of day camp. The organization that runs the center also funds a school near the village where many of the mothers of the center send their children. Currently however it is summer holidays and the kids are out of school for the next couple of weeks while their mother's (many single mom's widowed by the genocide) continue to work at the center. So, JoAnna and I, along with a young Quebecois couple are planning and running a day camp for the 100+ children. Tuesday was our first day and thankful there is no camp on friday because as you can imagine the math is pretty simple: 100 kids + 4 leaders = mass chaos. Thankfully, the Quebecois couple came somewhat prepared to run a day camp and brought with them some supplies, but even still those supplies run short quickly. With a mix of sports, games, crafts, art and music we manage to keep the children entertained for the majority of the time and they have been having a lot of fun. Thankfully, for my sanity, I only help during the afternoons because I am still giving english lessons during the mornings and running other errands as a chauffeur (as driving licenses are hard to come across in this country). The english lessons have been great and the women are eager to learn and are learning quickly. JoAnna however has been facing the insanity head-on morning and afternoon. This weekend we will travel to a popular beach and relax with some other volunteers and then return to continue the camp for one more week. Hopefully the camp will culminate in a fiesta for the kids complete with Piniata and a potluck supper to follow for their families. While we are only half through our time here, we can already sense that our stay will have been too short, with us leaving good friends and many opportunities behind. Thanks again for those who have been leaving comments along the way, they are very much apprecuiated, it's always good to know family and friends are doing well.

We love you all, take care and God bless,

Alex and Jo

5 comments:

Christine said...

Wow! I had no idea you would be taking on such a task! You two are perfect for the job though... I am sure all the kids love you.
(But I think I love you more)
xo

flaman's said...

I just caught up on my missed readings... its sounds like you guys are having quite some experiences! We are thinking of you both and missing you incredibly. Isaac wants to know if you saw any elephants? He wasnt sure if they were native to that part of Africa :-)

an. said...

wow! (as Chris would say :P) that is awesome! And I didn't know either that there would be daycamp involved... that is awesome! I'm praying for you Jo that you can keep your head up the whole day! and Alex, you and your multitasking, I am praying for you too! Keep your strength guys! Love you lots!!! (more than Chris, I'll fight her for it)

Lazz said...

Alex and Jo,

You guys sure are busy. Glad to hear you are really connecting with the people in Rwanda. I admire Alex for driving a bus in Africa but I still get a good laugh when I think about it.
Missing you and praying for you guys.

Brent

freespiritgr said...

Hey these blogs are great. I hear what you mean about the comments. I remember ours when Leslie and I were travelling in England. It sure helped us to feel connected to family and friends and to feel somewhat like we could take them with us (vicariously if not literally) So I am picturing your stories as I read them. Lots of energy needed for these day camps I am sure.

PS. I am reading this on Sunday July 27th, just home from Auntie Nancy's where we saw your mom and dad at a family BBQ. Aileen gave me the blog address so blame her for my verbage. We missed having you guys there so I want to send you a great big hug.